IT expert, carpet fitter and special constable

Date: Tuesday 5th December 2017

TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Eden councillor, carpet fitter and IT instructor who died suddenly but peacefully in Carlisle’s Cumberland Infirmary.

The funeral of 67-year-old Brian Huddleston, of Greystoke, was held at Carlisle Crematorium.

Mr. Huddleston was born in Flookborough, near Grange-over-Sands, and a year later the family moved to Flusco, near Penrith. In 1967 the family moved to Prospect Villas, in Newbiggin, Stainton, which remained Mr. Huddleston’s home until he moved to Greystoke in 2015. He is survived by two sisters — Valerie Simpson, of Greystoke, and Sheila Dalton, who lives in Cornwall.

He was educated at Newbiggin school and what is now Ullswater Community College. While at secondary school he enjoyed practical subjects and after leaving joined Vasey’s in Penrith as an apprentice carpet fitter.

He worked as a carpet fitter for around 15 years until it took a toll on his knees and he took a job as a steward at the police club at Carleton Hall. He also served as a special constable.

During the early 1990s he went to Newton Rigg College where he retrained in IT and after he qualified was able to build and repair computers.

His first job was with Techset Systems Limited and he later moved to Watershed Training where he taught people how to operate equipment in “computer buses” which visited rural communities across Cumbria and the Yorkshire Dales.

After the foot and mouth outbreak, which devastated many rural communities, he also taught computing to farmers who wanted to diversify within their businesses, and designed websites for a range of local organisations.

In May, 2003, Mr. Huddleston was elected as an Independent candidate for the Dacre ward of Eden Council, three years later joining the Conservative Group.

He enjoyed photography and was asked by the organisers of Pirelli International Rally to run the event’s website — he had been interested in motorsport since the 1970s.

In 2007 he was diagnosed with a heart condition and underwent an operation which was a success. However, it led to renal problems and he had a kidney transplant in June, 2013.

His sister Valerie said he tried to help people wherever he could throughout his illness. She added that he had a good sense of humour and was a quiet man. “He would do anything for anybody. He idolised his nephews and great-nieces,” she said.

As well as his sisters he leaves two brothers-in-law, Mike Simspon and Alan Dalton, four nephews and four great-nieces.