The man hurt in a fire in a Penrith flat has been transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle for treatment.
The blaze broke out in the flat on King Street yesterday morning and firefighters from Penrith, Shap and Lazonby were called to the “fully developed” fire at about 7am.
The man was initially taken to the Cumberland Infirmary in Carlisle, with injuries not believed to be life-threatening.
He has been transferred to the RVI due to burns on his legs.
Firefighters evacuated the surrounding properties and monitored next-door properties to make sure the fire had not spread.
The flat did not have a working smoke alarm and Cumbria Fire and Rescue station manager Stuart Hook said: “It would have prevented the severe burns the resident received escaping a developed fire.”
He added that because the fire had made such an impact on the surrounding area, firefighters from Penrith spent the afternoon talking to residents and local businesses in the vicinity offering fire safety advice.
He said: “Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service offer a free safe and well visit to everyone, which is a friendly, informal chat with a local fire officer in your home, to make sure you have the right information and support in place to keep you safe at home.
“The visit typically lasts for 20 minutes and will also include fire safety advice and guidance on fitting and checking your smoke alarms.”