A trial date has been set in the case of a woman accused of causing an elderly pedestrian’s death by careless driving in Penrith.
Kathleen Boddy suffered serious injuries when she and a vehicle were in collision in the Southend Road area of the town on October 14 2019.
Police were called to reports of a collision just before 11.50am on that date.
Mrs Boddy, 77, was transported by air ambulance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle but died four days later.
Susan Strong, 47, of Pearson Court, Penrith, stands charged with causing Mrs Boddy’s death by driving an Alfa Romeo vehicle without due care and attention.
Strong appeared at Carlisle Crown Court remotely this morning over a video link.
Audio problems meant she was unable to formally enter a plea to the charge she faces.
However, her barrister, Kim Whittlestone, said detailed instructions had been taken from the defendant in advance of the court hearing.
“I have had a full conference,” said Miss Whittlestone, who said: “It is a firm not guilty plea.”
A trial in front of a jury will now take place. This is due to start on November 2 and, it is estimated, will last two to three days.
Prosecutor Tim Evans announced a timetable for the progression of the case to ensure the efficient service of evidence.
Judge Nicholas Barker said Strong’s bail would continue in the meantime.
She is due to attend a further hearing on June 4 when it is proposed that a formal plea will be taken from her.