25 years ago – 1996
Mrs Bessie Cox is a real diamond among Women’s Institute members.
She has been involved with the movement for 60 years — 55 of them at Orton.
Her connection began with New Hutton WI, near Kendal, before she and her husband Walter moved to Orton in 1941.
Mrs. Cox, aged 79, has served as a vice-president and a committee member.
She was presented with a certificate at the annual meeting of Orton WI to mark her 60 years with the movement.
County councillors are being recommended to approve the controversial reintroduction of two-way traffic in Penrith’s Brunswick Road, and make Middlegate and Devonshire Street one-way, for a six-month trial period.
Members of Cumbria County Council’s economy and environment committee will be told that because county officials have been unable to secure sufficient funding to carry out the full new proposed traffic arrangements for the town’s centre in 1996-97, they will be introduced in phases.
The full cost of the scheme is £505,000.
The official launch of the Lady’s Walk Eden Benchmark sculpture at Langwathby was attended by special guest Bill Birkbeck.
The event was special in two ways for Mr. Birkbeck, of Langwathby, because it also marked his 80th birthday. In fact he was born in a leap year so has only had 20 birthdays.
The Appleby business of W. H. Capstick which has served as a drapery shop in the town for the last 140 years is finally closing its doors with the retirement of owners Bill and Judith Capstick.
The listed building, which housed a gentleman’s residence and an art gallery before the drapery business moved in, has a history dating back nearly 400 years.
Now the shop will be taken over by convenience store Spar.
Gardener Ronnie Sisson, from Penrith, will be hanging up his spade at the Dalemain estate, near Ullswater, as he begins a well-earned retirement.
Mr. Sisson has worked as a gardener since he left the Boys’ Council School, Penrith.
His first job was at Kerr’s Nursery, Carleton, where he remained for 26 years before moving on to work for Mrs. Harris at Bowscar Mansion. Four years later, in 1982, he moved to Dalemain estate as head gardener.
Members of the newly formed Alston YFC have maintained the momentum of their excellent first year by qualifying for the finals of the county pantomime competition.
Performing an agricultural version of Cinderella entitled Cinderwellie in the northern district competition at Dalston, they got to the finals by coming third behind the Kirkland and Brampton clubs.
With 30 cast members, the show was produced by John Alderson and the title role was played by Kellie Hodgson.
50 years ago – 1971
A former Penrith journalist who, nearly a year ago, took over the Editorship of “Motor Cycle News” at Kettering.
Mr. Robin Miller, son of Mrs. Miller, Fell Lane, Penrith, flew yesterday to the United States on what must be the highlight of his career as a motorcycle journalist, to report on the internationally famous Daytona Beach races for his paper.
Mr. Miller flew from London Airport to Florida last night with one of the most famous names in motorcycle racing – 30-year-old Mike Hailwood, nine times world champion.
An East Fellside personality and one of the pioneers of the picturesque May Day festival at Melmerby, Mr. John H. Cook, has died at the age of 86.
For many years a carrier and taxi driver, Mr. Cook claimed to be the first man to own a car on the East Fellside.
Mr. Cook bought his first car in 1914 – a 1911, 14 h.p. Darracq, fitted with brass paraffin lamps.
He also possessed a 1905 Mercedes which had belonged to the Kaiser and was brought to England when he visited Lowther Castle. Mr. Cook used the vehicle to convey as many as fourteen passengers to market.
One of the oldest amateur football clubs in Cumberland – there are records showing it was in existence by the 1890s – has withdrawn from the Westmorland League and gone into abeyance.
The club’s president, Mr. W. N. (“Bunty”) Airey, Threlkeld, said: “This is very sad. In village football things go in cycles and at the moment there are not enough footballers in Threlkeld.”
100 years ago – 1921
A well-attended meeting in St. Andrew’s Parish Rooms was held to test feelings in the town as to the possibilities of reviving Rugby football.
The game has not been played in Penrith for twenty years.
Colonel Turnbull, the Chief Constable, presided and the meeting endorsed the motion of Dr. Edington, seconded by Mr. Gandy, that the game should “carry on”.
The officers were empowered to obtain a field and make fixtures for next season.
Scores of people attended the annual point-to-point races of the Eamont Harriers at Mount Clifton. For the convenience of Penrith patrons a special train was run on the North-Eastern line at one o’clock, and the railway station was thronged from end to end.