The death occurred at his home at Smithy House, Dufton, of noted livestock producer William Richardson, formerly of the village’s Ghyll House, aged 96.
The oldest of the four children of the late George and Elsie Richardson, William was born at Brampton, Appleby.
He had a brother, Michael, and two sisters, Nancy and Marie.
The family farmed at Fawcett Park and Ghyll House as tenants of Appleby Castle Estate before purchasing those farms when offered the chance to do so in 1963.
He farmed in partnership with his brother Michael until the 1980s.
William married Nancy Graham, of Whitbysteads, Askham, in 1955 and they made their home at Ghyll House.
They went on to have three children, Antony, Suzanne and John.
William was a true countryman and was most at home with his livestock on Dufton Fell, especially at Meldon Fold where Ghyll House sheep were hefted.
Producing North of England Mule sheep for show and sale at Lazonby mart each autumn was a major part of his life.
He had many successes with these Mule gimmer lambs, regularly receiving the top prices at sales.
William worked on the farm well into his 80s and maintained all the walls and fences.
He enjoyed making all the wooden gates on the farm and was careful to ensure that each one swung correctly.
He took great pride in his stock and crops, and in later life enjoyed going to the shows to watch Ghyll House sheep and cattle achieve many championships.
William is survived by his wife Nancy, Dufton; sons Antony, Stainton, and John, Dufton; daughter Suzanne Richardson, Hilton; and sisters Nancy and Marie. He had five grandchildren and a great-granddaughter.